[entry-title permalink="0"]

This week’s match report was kindly provided by Faraaz Khan.

We faced a slightly different Warwick 2nd team this time around, with the result shifting to 4-1 in Warwick’s favour. However, the scoreline doesn’t tell the full story…

Caspar Whitehead was one of the first debutants to play today as the 5th seed, ultimately missing out on his first win to a 1-3 scoreline. Having adjusted to university level squash he tactically increased the speed of the rallies, upping the pressure on his opponent in the 3rd game to take it comfortably. However, the opposition adapted to the situation and sealed the deal in the 4th game but Caspar can take a lot of encouragement out of today’s match pushing his opponent throughout.

Our other player making his debut was Aaron Hundle as the 4th seed. He played some beautiful and tactically sound squash which led to a prolonged and tiring 5 game match, ultimately falling out of Aaron’s favour. Having spoken to him after the match you could sense his frustration to just missing out however, he too can be pleased with the composure he showed throughout his first competitive match at a university level.

Ed Burn, our 3rd seed, was the only victorious player from the Oxford 2nds and it was thoroughly deserved, as evidenced by the 3-2 scoreline. Having taken a 2-0 lead things were looking almost comfortable for Ed but a big push from his counterpart almost snatched victory from Ed’s hands drawing it level to 2-2. Despite this shift in momentum Ed was able to confidently shift things in his direction and finished the job in the final game.

Our 2nd seed player, Faraaz Khan, took an early lead in the match, but dropped the next 2 games, possibly due to lack of concentration. In what was to be the final game, Faraaz finally realised the importance of the drop to finish a rally – however this came a little too late as he was already 3-9 down and was only able to scavenge 5 points before losing the game and subsequently the match.

Nicola Dotti played 1st seed and entered the match with his usual cool, relaxed and confident attitude. He and his opponent traded games with Nicola taking the first. He may have made a few silly mistakes in the previous game but Nicola was ready to put this aside for the 5th and final game. Despite the really big push at the end, Nicola just fell short, possibly due to fitness and disputed referee decisions throughout the game. Either way, Nicola did a decent day’s work and gave us sage advice when we needed it.

We want to thank Warwick for hosting us and we look forward to seeing them again soon.